Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Time Saving Meal Management Series - Post #1

I am often asked how I can regularly put a home cooked meal on the table despite a busy schedule, job, children, horses and all the rest.  I am going to start a series here that I will publish once a week or so to give some tips and time savers that help to keep me sane (relatively) and my family healthy and well fed.  You can feel free to employ some - or all - of these tips if they sound like they will help you.

One of the greatest inventions for busy Moms is the pre-roasted chicken available at the grocery store.  These chickens aren't just a good meal idea in and of themselves, but they are an essential item in my freezer.  I buy a couple of these at a time from Costco.  (I buy them at Costco because in my area, they are the biggest and meatiest available for the price ~ 3 lbs for $4.99.  Truthfully, I can't make them myself for that price.)

Once I get them home, I will strip the meat off the bones, cut it into smaller, uniform pieces and put it in freezer bags (I have a 'Meal Saver' system and I vacuum seal the meat, but you can use Ziploc freezer bags just as easily) in amounts of 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 pounds.  That is usually the amount of meat I use in a recipe for my family - with some left over for weekday lunches for me (I brown bag daily)  So, from 2 chickens, I will typically get 5 meals of cooked chicken meat.

Another item to keep or use can be really good chicken stock.  If you have a deep freezer and can store the broth, I suggest you use the bones, an onion, about 5 celery stalks and some pepper and boil, then simmer the carcasses for  30 minutes.  Cool the broth and freeze in usable amounts. (I like to freeze it in amounts of 1 cup)

That's great, you say - but what do you do with the chicken then?  Below are just some ideas for quick dinners with pre-cooked chicken meat.  I've included one recipe and will have others online that use cooked chicken in the coming weeks.  When you want to use the chicken, simply put the frozen bag in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 3 minutes to defrost.  It will now be ready to put into your recipe.

Recipe Ideas:
Chicken Spaghetti
Quick Chicken Noodle Soup
Chicken Enchiladas
Chicken Tacos
Baked Chicken Burritos
30-Minute Chicken Chili
Chicken Enchilada Casserole
Chicken & Pepper Pasta
Chicken and Broccoli
Stuffed Chicken Bake
Busy Mom's Chicken Parmesan Bake
Chicken a la King


Chicken a La King

This is a wonderful and easy meal.  It can be dressed up with dinner rolls and a nice dessert for company or make a nice weeknight meal for your family.  I know some will want to omit the sherry for various reasons, but I recommend using it as the classic flavor is pulled together by that ingredient.  If you have children, fear not - the alcohol will cook off before serving. 

3 Tbs butter
1 chopped onion
1 chopped green Bell pepper
1 tsp minced garlic
1 cup sliced button mushrooms
3 Tbs flour
1 cup chicken stock
1 cup milk
1 small jar diced pimentos
1 tsp ground nutmeg
Fresh ground pepper to taste
1 ¼ – 1 ½ lbs cooked, chopped chicken
2 Tbs cooking sherry (optional)

Melt the butter and sauté onion, pepper and garlic until they begin to soften. Add mushrooms and cook until tender stirring often.

Quickly stir in the flour to form a roux (you must keep stirring this so it does not burn or get lumpy). Once the butter and flour mixture is smooth (this will be quick) pour in the chicken stock and milk and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer.

Keep stirring until sauce thickens (if sauce is too thick, add a bit of broth or milk). Add the pimentos, nutmeg, pepper and cooked chicken (and sherry if you are using). Heat through before serving.

Serve over spaghetti or beside mashed potatoes and a vegetable – my favorite is steamed baby peas.  A butter lettuce salad is also an excellent addition to the meal.

1 comment:

  1. Hey...these sound great! Could also use that chicken for Chilaquiles! You just need a bag of either Taco Flavored or Nacho Cheese Flavored Doritos, 1 can cream of chicken soup, 1 small can mild green chiles, 3/4 c mild green salsa, 3 c. cheese (either Mexican or cheddar), and 2 1/2 - 3 c shredded chicken.

    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix together soup, salsa, and chiles. Divide Doritos, soup mixture, chicken, and cheese into three parts. Layer in casserole dish...Doritos, chicken, soup mixture, cheese. If you need a little extra cheese for the top...go for it. Bake uncovered for 15 minutes. Serve with a tossed salad with Taco Ranch Dressing (make the Hidden Valley Ranch with mayo and then add 1/2 pkg Taco Bell Taco Seasoning). Yummy dinner!!

    ReplyDelete