Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Cooking Cowgirl

So what, you may ask yourself, is a “Yankee Cowgirl”?  And, for that matter, how did she come to be?  Well, that is a somewhat long story so sit back and enjoy the ride – it is a meandering one.

I was born and raised in Massachusetts.  I spent most of my “growing up” years in the Waltham/Watertown area and lived the typical “small town near a big city” life.  Most of our extended family was within an hours ride – if not ½ hour and we spent a lot of time with family while young.

My maternal Grandfather, Da, was a super great cook.  He could go out and have a meal and come home and recreate that same meal.  It was amazing to watch him at work.  He made fantastic dishes in what has to be the smallest kitchen I have ever worked in.  Much of my spare time was spent at his knee and so I learned a great love of cooking and creating recipes.

I went to college in Worcester, MA at the College of the Holy Cross, a Jesuit school and Old Dominion University later for my Masters work.  With my degrees, I tried my hand at everything I thought I wanted to do.  I was a banker, office worker, teacher, and finally found that I was good with computers.  I made a career out of managing large-scale software projects.  I liked what I did and was good at it.  It afforded me the ability to travel and see the country.

I landed in Texas and met the one man I was born to love forever.  My husband is my best friend.  He smoothed all my rough edges and polished my heart.  It has been the best years I could hope for since we met.  We now have two great boys and more animals than we can handle in town.  Our lives are so fun.

I still love to cook – and to share recipes.  I have always wanted to write a cookbook or publish my creations, so this is a way to do that from my desktop!

Soon, we will move out of the big city and have land and a ranch to raise our boys out of the mess of the city.  God Bless my family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment